Monday, February 9, 2015

Why Write?

When I was about 17 years old, I sent a sample of my writing to one of those ads that appeared in magazines about learning to be an author. To my mother’s dismay, a company representative showed up at our door wanting to sign me up. As you can imagine, the price turned out to be outrageous. I don’t remember Mama being upset with me— just curious as to why. Little did she know that I wrote constantly.

In college I received an invitation to the Jesse Stuart Writing Workshop after being nominated by a professor. I could not afford to attend this summer workshop as I needed to work to help pay the next term’s expenses. I never mentioned it to my family. I deeply regret not being able to attend as Jesse passed away not long thereafter. My treasured signed copy of his book Kentucky is My Land is proudly displayed in my home.

I had/have careers. I have been a wife, a mother, a school teacher, an archaeologist, a historic preservation consultant, a researcher, and an interpreter. All this time, I wrote.  I still write. I write history. I write fiction. I write interpretation for parks and museums. I enjoy writing and can afford the luxury of writing. I hope to continue writing for many years to come. I want to instill in children my love for history. I want to make them love reading. I want to share with adults and children what I learn by doing research.

I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment